Sunday, March 2, 2008

Feb 13 - 24. Arizona / Nevada Trip. Part 2. Sedona

Sunday (Feb 17) joined Jenn & Michael heading to the A/P for their return to SF. I drove away from National Rent A Car in a brand new (had no plates, only the sticker on the back window) Toyota Camry for my trip to Sedona.

It was a beautiful sunny day, as I left the cactus of Phoenix and entered the dessert shrubbery of Prescott to meet up with my long-time buddy Pam for our journey to Sedona.

I was treated to a culinary delight (Pam is an A#1 Professional Chef) of herbed Alaskan salmon, an amazing salsa of very unusual ingredients, fresh fruit, awesome bakery bread (my favorite kind - fragrant, chewy and yummy). We enjoyed the dinner with her daughter Rachel and granddaughter Akiah. Lovely women they are. It was a delicious dinner and a great evening of catching up on the years of our lives. I slept warm and snug in Akiah's (9-year old's specially decorated) room..... with glowing stars on the ceiling. Good dreams that night! Thank you Akiah.

We started the next day in downtown Prescott's parking lot viewing this too-well hidden mural by a husband/wife team - local artists.



Spectacular! I wish I had taken many pictures across the width of the painting. It is huge. And there is not a historic detail left out.


We headed toward Sedona and what a spectacular sight of huge and very red rock towering above us. I took a few small soft rocks to use as charcoal. We'll see what I can conjure up with those.










We sneaked in on a bus tour and took advantage of the tour guide's offer to take pictures in front of Wilson Peak.


I think he knew we weren't with his tour but he indulged us anyway. He's not the best photographer, but here we are....


We toured the area, shopped in Sedona, bought a few souvenirs and headed to Jerome for the night.

The Jerome Hotel was a hospital in the early 1900s. A state of the art facility unrivaled by any hospitals in the western United States..... they say.

The guests are allowed to run the old fashioned elevator by themselves, which was really fun for us. It had a fancy lamp, a love seat, and a painting hanging on the wall.






The desk people still use the old time switchboard with plugs and cords. Very fun.





We had an uneventful stay with no ghost sightings from he who haunts Room 32 on the third floor which was formerly the Recovery Room.



On our way out of town, we drove past Democratic Campaign Headquarters.

Double click so you can the "full" impact of this "frontage".



It was a great trip and it was so very nice catching up on our lost years.... Thanx Pam.

I left my dear friend with sweet sorrow and headed back to family in Phoenix and on to the next chapter of our trip - Las Vegas....

Stay Tuned.

luv/joB

1 comment:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

Now I understand... you are off playing instead of painting. *wink.
Looks like you had a wonderful time. Reading about the dinner makes me hungry.