Sunday, May 17, 2009

Painting off Walker Bridge photo - Stage 4

Stage 3

Stage 4





This is it..... the final.


The shadows on the right were not as cool as those on the left. So I added Ultramarine Blue to the under side of the bushes, which not only unifies the two sides of the canvas, also accentuates light hitting the tops of the bushes.

I found trees in the background that were reflecting the diminishing light of dusk. So I put highlights on them.

I put bare branches into the bushes on the left, and broke up the arch of dark blue that was front and center in the water. This emphasizes the last sparkles of evening sunlight reflecting off the water. There are now some small white riffles around the little islands that come in from the right front.

This is a dangerous time for me. I have so much fun with the highlights and details that I can get carried away with the "piddle, play, and putter" and end up with a "blend" rather than distinctive highlights. So I decided to stop here. I will look at this painting over the next few weeks and decide if I still need to do something, or if I can consider it done and ready to sign.

luv/joB

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1 comment:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

After looking at this a number of times I think you should be very proud of this work. It really is good. Be careful after you look at it more NOT to over work it like I usually do. It's done! Love that you have shared the step by step, explaining along the way in detail. More, please.....