Thursday, May 7, 2009

"Seeing Color" from the Walker Bridge

The art class we are currently taking from Nancy Kilmer is called "Seeing Color". It's the Hawthorne/Hensche style which is a modification of Monet's impressionism.

The first part of this class was the "drawing from the right side of the brain" exercises, and then the blocks still life.... painting the blocks and the shadows they cast. I showed those in previous blogs.

Now we are "en plein air" painting off the Walker Bridge, which is about a mile and a half down river from the community hall where we meet for class.

View down riber from the bridge:










My first attempt:



I am not happy with the way this is working out, as I don't feel I did a good "first stage".

The object of this whole process is to capture the light, color, and atmospheric conditions present at the time scene is being painted. I think I got the greens too bright, and since the oil paint has dried now (2 weeks later) I decided to start over last night.


Stage 1:

I started this last night in class - from the photo, which is not the same as "being there", but I think it's good practice for this first stage, which is the base, and needs to be correct. This is also the part where I have the most difficulty.


So this is where I am this morning.





I'll show you my progress as the day continues.








luv/joB

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

1 comment:

Nancy Van Blaricom said...

I've always had a difficult time with this. Color and atmospheric condition's are so confusing to me. I have tried before to "get" it, but seeing colors, real colors are so hard. In this last photo, maybe because it is taken from further back, I can see the colors/atmospheric colors better. I envy you being able to learn this... I'm so glad you are sharing what you are doing. Maybe I can learn something also.